You have probably heard a great deal about smart home technologies, home automation, internet-connected devices, and something called the “Internet of Things”, or IoT. Many of those terms are used interchangeably, making it all pretty confusing. The neat thing about smart home technologies is that once you know what it all means, it is even more exciting than you had thought!
Home automation, internet-connected devices, and the IoT are actually components of Smart Home technologies.
- Home Automation –When selected appliances and devices are connected to a central system and respond based on user input and scheduling. These things might include lights scheduled to come on at a certain time, or a coffee maker set on a timer.
- Connected Devices- Connected devices are appliances and systems utilize integrated sensors that can connect them to the internet. The user programs the devices that can also learn and anticipate user patterns and respond accordingly, such as certain lights to come on when the security alarm is disabled; or music to come on in a room when the lights turn on. With connected devices, users can also control them remotely via the computer, tablet, or smartphone.
- The Internet of Things (IoT)- The Internet of Things is the magic that brings home automation and connected devices together to create a truly smart home. Using sensors, programs, systems and controls, the IoT bridges the technologies and allows the systems to communicate, telling everything how, when, and why to perform a certain task as well as relay information to the user.
About Knight Security Systems
With the advances in smart home technologies, you can automate and connect everything from window shades to home security systems to respond to triggers and commands, even in your absence. It may sound uber techy (and it is!) but it is very much the technology of today. Smart home technologies exist to streamline your life, increase safety, and make your home more energy efficient. If you have questions about smart home technologies and home security, feel free to give us a call. We are happy to explain the many facets of this exciting technology.
- Integrating Smart Home Technology with Security Systems: The Future of Residential Safety - November 27, 2023
- Holiday Home and Business Security: Ensuring Safety During Thanksgiving and Christmas - November 20, 2023
- 10 Ways Knight Security Systems Revolutionizes Home Safety - November 17, 2023